Personal Stories - Page 2

If you wish to submit your story please e-mail via the contact us page.

Return to Personal Stories


Becky Roche - My Experience of Adrenalectomy

I have been asked to tell you about my Adrenalectomy or the way I put it having my adrenal glands out.

Before I start about that a bit of the background. I have spent a long time trying to get my hormone leaves and all other leaves in my body right for a long time about 2 or 3 years. But it did not work at all we tried everything taking the pills in different levels up and down with no success it got to a point that I did not know what to do.  I was thinking for killing myself and told the doctor on my next appointment and he could understand why I felt like this.

I told him all about this and he said that the hormone lives where not going right and he had try all he could he said that we could keep going on with the steroids, he all so explained that I had a option if I wanted to go down that root. He told me about the Adrenalectomy where they go in and remove both adrenal glands if they can with then would bring down the hormone levels down and fewer steroids. 

After that I went home with my mum and we spoke about it I told my dad about and their answer was the same itís up to you. I sat and thought about how it was for me but the only thing I was concerned about was the risks I new that only a few people had, had this done.

I looked around but could not find much information about the only thing I could find was about Addisonís Disease.  So at that point I stopped looking. And spoke to one of my friends and she had the same thing to say it is up to you.  That was it, I decided I am going to have this done.

After about tree months of speaking to the doctor I got an appointment to see the surgeon, he was extremely nice, he told me all about the operation.  He told me the risks and the only thing that I did not like the idea about was them cutting me open but he did tell me that it was going to be done by key-hole surgery so that was ok.

The time came up and I was in hospital I went in the day before I was put on a ward. The surgeon came to see me, he told me that the surgery would be done the next morning.  I was the first on his list and I would be going in at about 8.30am.  Thatís what happened I went in at 8.30am and I came out at 6.45 that night they told me that I had very big Adrenal glands and thatís way it took so long.  I went in on the Wednesday and I came out on the next Monday.

I have now been home for 4 months and I am doing really well.  When I went in I was 12 stone and today I am just under 10 stone my facial hair is going slowly and all over I am filling better. I still have to take the steroid pills and will always have to but I am doing well.

So if you feel you want to do this I would do it.

If you want to talk to me about it you can email me via the Webmaster at AHN who will forward your emails to me.  Hope this helps Becky.

 © Becky Roche 2003

Return to Personal Stories

Please note the opinions of contributors to personal stories is not necessarily that of AHN. Please read Disclaimer.

Adrenal Hyperplasia Network Homepage  Founder Profile   Intro to Info   What is CAH  Different Types    Treatment of CAH     Adrenal Crisis   

Issues for M & F    Issues for F   Gender Issues    Surgery    Social Issues    Issues for M   CAH Info Booklet PDF    Psychology  

     Human Rights   NSCAG Issue    Info for Media   Articles   Medical Advisors   Research   Personal Stories    AHN Journal   Booklist    Links   

Contact Us    Copyright    Disclaimer   RBMC Book


This Page was updated 30-Apr-2006

These pages are maintained by

© 1999 - 2006 Adrenal Hyperplasia Network